I’ll get straight to the point. I have recently discovered a go-to meal, one that is fresh, healthy, delicious in a Saturday-night-takeaway-way and it takes the same amount of time as heating up a ready meal. I made it one night, completely winging it – using what food I had left in the cupboard and it was so good that I keep on cooking it.
I am aware that you may be thinking “what is she some sort of food blogger now?” Well no, but Mummy Rules is taking a new direction which means I will be writing about stuff other than how tired I am…
I love cooking, I love food. I always have, but since being a mum well I have had an interesting relationship with it…from stuffing chocolate into my mouth whilst hiding from the children; to eating quarter of a cold fish finger off the floor just to save the walk to the bin, things have changed. Now I’ve decided it’s time to get back to enjoying food and rule the kitchen once more: I owe it to myself to eat better. Mums, we all do!!! I’m not slimming, (although I do happen to cook a lot of Slimming World recipes, because they are healthy and taste good) but I can’t cope with the pressure of saying I’m doing it; and the meal planning around two tiny children. I’m just learning to enjoy my food again; to eat better.
So anyway I’ve been taking photos of my meals like a complete nerd for a few months now, and it’s about time I got them off my phone and started popping my recipes on here.
…”What about when you are really tired? When you are really stressed after a long day at work or with the kids, and just want to stuff yourself with a Dominos? What about then??”
It’s simple. I make this.
(Most of the time. I’m no saint. I have the HungryHouse app installed on my phone. It’s just since discovering this meal I’ve used it less and less…)
Mummy Rules’ Chorizo Hot Pot
- Olive/sunflower oil/FryLight
- Half a chorizo ring, chopped up.
- A packet of quick cook lentils (any will do, from puy lentils to green lentils to the ones mixed with beans).
- Garlic paste (2 teaspoons)
- Tomato purée (1 tablespoon)
- Easy cook veg, washed and chopped: I usually use 1-2 bell peppers and a handful of mushrooms. Tonight I replaced the pepper with an aubergine cos it needed eating up and it was gorgeous, mixed in with the tomato beautifully. Last week I added a potato too, because I was really hungry.
- 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- Black pepper
- A dash of red wine (optional)
- Mozerella / basil / Parmesan to top (optional)
- If you are adding a potato, wash it, pierce it and wrap in a piece of kitchen roll and pop in the microwave for 5-7 mins.
- Oil or spray a large saucepan or frying pan, and put the pan on a medium/high heat.
- Add the vegetables to the pan for 2-5 mins. Stir well.
- Add the chorizo. Stir well.
- Add the garlic paste and tomato purée. Stir in.
- Add the lentils, chopped tomatoes and a good grind of black pepper. Stir.
- Bring to the boil then let it simmer for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- If you are drinking wine whilst cooking, add a dash of it to the saucepan.
- Bish, bash, bosh: serve!
The juiciness of the chorizo just makes this so mouthwateringly good; it coats all of the vegetables with a spicy meaty flavour; and combined with the veg and lentils it is a really warming, comforting dish: perfect eaten from a bowl, curled up on the sofa, which I’ll admit is my favourite way to eat these days!
I love it because:
- it’s quick
- it’s cheap
- it uses up the leftovers
- it’s totally yummy
- it’s good for me
- it’s adaptable: I’ve added wine, mozzarella, shredded basil and different vegetables each time I’ve made it:
You just need to make sure you are always stocked up on the staples: chopped tomatoes, lentils, garlic paste and chorizo (which keeps in the fridge for ages).
Well there you go. First food post up. Perhaps you liked it. If you did, please like on Facebook or tweet about it on Twitter! Also if you cook it, let me know what ingredients you added…
Mummy Rules (the Kitchen) x